Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Week Nine: Space Opera

Oh, space operas. I have such conflicting feelings about space operas--for the most part the space opera is exactly what I think about when thinking about "science fiction", and it's not exactly my cup of tea. At the same time...I can't stop. Space opera was such a huge part of pop culture and literature, using the principles of storytelling in the brave new world of the future. 

You can't ignore space operas, although I have been relatively successful in doing so. I haven't seen Star Wars, nor have I watched Star Trek, but I know the general plots of both, and cannot ignore how popular a fandom it has. Galaxy Quest is a hilarious tribute to the genre that I throughly enjoy regardless. There's something about the nostalgia of these tales, being able to examine them from the present-day and see what people in the past thought the future would hold. But the storytelling and narrative in these works transcend time, gripping most audiences with the humanity of it all. 

This week, I started watching Joss Whedon's Firefly TV series. I've been a fan of Joss Whedon for a while now, from Buffy to his latest Agents of Shield show. I'm a fan of the narrative form of television because it really lets the characters develop and grow, which works well with the space opera format. Look at the success and life of Star Trek, or even the BBC's wildly popular, 50-year long Doctor Who.

No comments:

Post a Comment