Thursday, February 5, 2015

Week Four: The New Weird

I find myself once again writing about Joss Whedon, this time about the 2012 film "The Cabin in the Woods". And I will say, if there is one thing about "weird" fiction that I can really appreciate, it's interpretations of the genre from Joss Whedon's perspective.

There's something about horror that I really don't like. Which is, quite frankly, the scary horror part of it. I'm a generally fidgety, squeamish person, so movies or books that are filled with suspense or shocking moments that are meant to leave you scared are definitely not my cup of tea. But the way "The Cabin in the Woods" does it makes it breaks down and makes fun of the formulaic nature of your every day scary movie while incorporating it's own set of rules and lore, as well as it's greater purpose within their universe.

I really liked the idea that the character tropes/archetypes seen in most horror films are exaggerated versions of otherwise normal, capable individuals. Having an underground power controlling and playing the game in an effort to stave off the apocalypse is definitely a different take on things. You think you know the story, but you don't know it. I thought the use of humor juxtaposed against the very harsh gory graphics was successful, although a little jarring for my personal taste. Since I'm familiar with Whedon's work with Buffy, it's interesting to see his take on what I would consider an adjacent universe to the Buffyverse.

No comments:

Post a Comment